Recognizing the need within marginalized communities (including LGBTTIQQ2S people, people of colour, varying body types, class backgrounds and abilities) for accessible affirming dance classes ILL NANA/DiverseCity Dance Company created Right To Dance.
Right to Dance has two major components:
1. Right To Dance: Free-PWYC Affirming Drop-in Dance Classes
2. Right To Dance: 2 Month Intensive
RTD programming (Saturday Drop-ins and the Intensive) will be on hiatus, as we build towards long term sustainability. Please help us spread the word, we know that these classes are special to many people. We will continue to share other opportunities to move and dance on the Right to Dance Facebook group.
We are still available for workshops, choreography and metorship. Please contact us!
We also offer:
4. Choreography and mentorship
Please continue to scroll down for more information, including Right to Dance Drop-In class schedule
1. Right to Dance: Free/PWYC Affirming Dance Drop-ins
Right To Dance Drop-in Classes: are affirming dance/movement classes taught by caring and skilled facilitators to create space for LGBTQ people, people of colour, people with varying body types, class backgrounds, and abilities to participate in dance and movement.
We believe dance is knowledge and it is meant to be shared and enjoyed by all. Everyone has the Right To Dance!☺♥☺♥
Every Sat Afternoon
(1-3pm Class 1, 3-5pm Class 2)
Classes are currently on hiatus.
Where: The 519 Church Street Community Centre: Room 301
How Much: Sliding Scale-Pay What You Can: No One Turned Away. Option to skill/item exchange to pay for class: email@example.com. These classes are currently not funded and are run by donation. Please help spread the word about donating to help keep these classes Free-PWYC and donate today!
What to Wear: What ever makes you feel good, as long as you can move in it.
Things You May Wanna Bring: water, snacks, towel, and additional clothes you may get sweaty!!!
2. Right To Dance: 2 Month Intensive:
Is a revolutionary movement program, that affirms and welcomes LGBTTIQQ2S people, people of colour, and people with varying body sizes and abilities. Each year 10 people are mentored for 2 Months to create their own solo dance and movement work. They are given training in dance techniques including hip hop, street styles, ballet, and contemporary as well as choreographic mentor ship. The program culminates with a two night showcase of solo performances at a local theatre for friends, family, and our communities in Toronto.
This program has successfully run since 2012.
3. Workshops: ILL NANA/DCDC offers 2 hr dance workshops under the same framework as their dance education programs Right To Dance in the following: hip hop, urban dance, dancing in heels, ballet, and contemporary dance. Workshops are taught with an anti-oppressive framework in order to create an affirming space for marginalized people with a focus on LGBTTIQQ2S* people, people of colour, as well as people with varying body types, class backgrounds, and abilities. Workshops can vary and be catered to people with no prior dance experience, to professional dance levels in the following genres:
Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip Hop, Irish Dance, House, Waacking, Voguing, Wushu Chinese Kung Fu, Walking in Heels, and Dancing in Heels.
Our workshops have been presented at:
Art Gallery of Ontario, Centre for Women of Trans People of University of Toronto, Asian Arts Freedom School, Speak Out for Youth Action (SOYA) of Support Enhance Access Service (SEAS) Centre, Supporting Our Youth (SOY), Healthy TransAction, Project Acorn, and Camp Ten Oaks
4. Choreography and Mentorship: ILL NANA/DCDC offers choreography and mentorship to first time performers and professional artists. We give technical tools, artistic insight, choreography, and choreographic skills, within an inspiring and validating environment that values participant input and highlights participant’s individuality and strengths.
Jade Elektra: Bitch You Look Fierce (Pride Toronto 2010), A Drag Cabaret – MY BABY’S GOT A SECRET, Eventual Ashes- Arise, Freaks and Geeks: A Drag Musical